26 March 2015

Book 23: To Be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal


Well now, this. A new author to me, from a friend's recommendation list, and golly am I glad. Just the sort of thing I like to read. Perhaps not entirely perfect; I read a review which argued that the main character's mid-life unravelling (for it was not entirely a crisis) was not entirely supported, and that's a fair point, but in many ways, it's a minor quibble from a book so beautifully written and on the whole compelling. My only reservation - and frankly, it's minor - is that I liked the glimpses of the younger self of the protagonist so much more than the present day one (who seemed a little underdrawn) that I kept wondering how she went from A to B. Which is guess, is similar to the review's point made above.  I have ordered (I know, I know) another title (Goodnight, Nebraska) from this author - the library system didn't have it, so I've bought a used copy from AbeBooks. It's supposed to be even better  so I'm looking forward to it... And as my dad lived in Nebraska for a number of years, I have a little fondness for books set there - so long as I don't have to live there myself. All that winter; no thanks!

1 comment:

Sharon W. said...

Well my copy had somehow slipped to the bottom of my ToBeRead pile, so I appreciate your review! I started it last night, and was tempted to pull an allnighter, it is that good. But I knew I would regret the moment when my first reading was done, so am trying to space it out. Yes, beautifully written.