31 March 2015

March Book Update



Back at the start of the year, I made a plan to try to read through books I owned, and not buy new books until I'd made a substantial reduction in the (unread) books I owned. I did, however, allow myself library books (both those I order in because they are part of a series I'm reading and those which I happen to see which take my fancy) and a few gifts, e.g. birthday and Mother's Day. 

In January, I didn't gain any books, but I read a lot of stuff from the library and a few re-reads from what I already own, so I only managed to remove 2 titles from my list.  In February I added one title to my pile, bought in the charity shop, but even with some re-reading of other titles, I managed to read 6 books from the list and get rid of one after a few chapters - that's a net reduction of 8 books so far in 2015. March, on the other hand, has pretty much tipped the balance the other way. I blame this on charity shops, bookshops, authors who write more than one good title and well, on my own basic lack of willpower when it comes to buying books...

Reading in March: 
  • I managed to read 4 titles from my list. Not that many, but one of them was one of the longest books waiting tbr (the others being the Bill Bryson and the Amy Tan) so that's something of an accomplishment... (Island of Wings  by Karin Altenberg, Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith and The Affair of the Bloodstained Egg Cosy by James Anderson, which I am less than 40 pages from the end of, so I'm counting it in March)
  • I bought four books from charity shops (City of Beasts by Isabel Allende, The Whole Day Through by Patrick Gale, The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and Virals by Kathy Reichs - these are all books by authors I've read before rather than total impulse purchases, so that's something!) and got a book for Mother's Day (The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton). I also ordered one book online from AbeBooks (Goodnight, Nebraska by Tom McNeal) and bought four books in Waterstones (Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor, The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith, The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides and The Apothecary's Daughter by Charlotte Betts)
  • I read one library book this month - something which a friend recommended and which sounded good from the description (To be Sung Underwater by Tom McNeal) - luckily ended up being one of my favourite reads so far this year.
  • I read some YA fiction which we already owned (The Maze Runner series by James Dashner), but which weren't on my reading pile, so they count as books read, but not as reductions from the list.
Which is a net loss - and 6 books added to the list (though it's still down over the whole of 2015 so far, though only just!), but then again, nobody's perfect. Especially me, when it comes to buying books. Or not buying them - I'm quite good at buying them!

Here's the updated list of Books to Read in 2015.  There are now 55 books on the list, with 9 months to go. That's 6 books from the list per month. Yes, it's still achievable, especially if I stop buying books. We'll see how that works for me!
  1. Isabel Allende, City of Beasts (charity shop, March 2015)
  2. Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin (charity shop, March 2015)
  3. Gerhand Bakker, The Twin 
  4. Charlotte Betts, The Apothecary's Daughter (Waterstones, March 2015)
  5. Jessie Burton, The Miniaturist (Mother's Day 2015)
  6. Bill Bryson, One Summer: America 1927
  7. Michael Collins, The Resurrectionists
  8. Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone (this one would be a re-read)
  9. Arthur Conan Doyle, The Hound of the Baskervilles
  10. Jim Crace, Harvest
  11. Esi Edugyan, Half Blood Blues
  12. Jeffrey Eugenides, The Virgin Suicides (Waterstones, March 2015)
  13. Jim Fergus, One Thousand White Women (Summer 2013)
  14. Anne Fine, All Bones and Lies
  15. Fannie Flagg, Can't Wait to get to Heaven (Feb 2015, charity shop)
  16. Ford Maddox Ford, Parade's End (Nov 2012 - birthday present - bought after the BBC adaptation - but I knew I wouldn't read it straight away as I wanted to let time pass from the adaptation.  Enough time has probably passed now...)
  17. E M Forster, Howards End
  18. Karen Joy Fowler, We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves (Christmas 2014)
  19. Miles Franklin, My Brilliant Career
  20. Robert Galbraith, The Silkworm (Waterstones, March 2015)
  21. Patrick Gale, Rough Music
  22. Patrick Gale, The Whole Day Through
  23. Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude (re-read, bought shortly after his death - spring 2014 - as I was reminded how much I enjoyed it and I didn't seem to own a copy - think my old one fell apart, probably...)
  24. Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South
  25. Rumer Godden, Kingfishers Catch Fire
  26. Laurie Graham, A Humble Companion
  27. Graham Greene, Brighton Rock
  28. Nicholas Griffin, The House of Sight and Shadow
  29. Jane Haddam, Glass Houses
  30. Laurell K Hamilton, Bloody Bones
  31. Anjali Joseph, Sarasawati Park
  32. Jim Lynch, The Highest Tide
  33. W Somerset Maugham, The Magician
  34. Tom McNeal, Goodnight, Nebraska (AbeBooks, March 2015)
  35. Azar Nafisi, Reading Lolita in Tehran
  36. Kate O'Brien, The Land of Spices
  37. Regina O'Melveny, The Book of Madness and Cures
  38. Michael Ondaatje, The Cat's Table
  39. Anuradha Roy, An Atlas of Impossible Longing (Winter 2013, bought in a cheap shop in Oxford)
  40. Kathy Reichs, Spider Bones
  41. Kathy Reichs, Virals (charity shop, March 2015)
  42. Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Watcher in the Shadows (Christmas 2014)
  43. Richard Russo, Straight Man
  44. Simon Sebag Montefiore, One Night in Winter
  45. Muriel Spark, Memento Mori
  46. Mark Slouka, The Visible World
  47. Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Summer 2013 - a re-read, as I read it when a teen)
  48. Magda Szabo, The Door
  49. Amy Tan, The Valley of Amazement
  50. Laini Taylor, Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Waterstones, March 2015)
  51. Rose Tremaine, Merivel
  52. Rose Tremaine, Music & Silence
  53. Barry Unsworth, The Ruby in her Navel 
  54. Ayelet Waldman, Love and Treasure (new in December 2014)
  55. December, Elizabeth Winthrop

1 comment:

Sharon W. said...

Well I hate to add another potential ToBeRead: I just discovered and bought for a niece the tempting "A Wilder Rose", which is a fictional account of Rose Wilder Lane's aid to her mother (Laura Ingalls Wilder) in writing the Little House Books. A possible addition if you were a Little House fan growing up????