20 March 2015

Book 22: Middlesex, Jeffery Eugenides


This was a long but very readable family epic type story, with all kinds of fun features like Greek immigrants, recessive genetics, speakeasies, love between cousins (and siblings) and of course, a hermaphroditic narrator. I enjoyed it, though - great writing (as long as you can deal with that sort of sardonic narration style - personally, I am usually a fan of that sort of thing - reminds me of John Irving, who I usually like very much) and a good, compelling story - we know from the outset that the hermaphroditic narrator's condition is the result of a genetic bomb so as we follow the family's story from generation to generation, we are waiting to see what happens and how the whole thing develops, and...  I haven't read his first book (the highly praised Virgin Suicides) but I think I might now have to go back and check it out; if it's anywhere near as good a story as this, it would definitely be worth it.

No comments: