01 May 2016

May Declutter - 1 item; 1 total


Last year in May I took an idea I saw somewhere on the internet, and did a declutter, one day at a time, increasing the number of items got rid of each day through May (e.g. 1 item the first day, 15 items on the 15th, and so on).  If you keep this up, you get rid of nearly 500 things which might be cluttering up your house and your life.

I'm not a person who hoards things; I tend to get rid of things through the year as I need to (e.g. books I know I won't read again go straight to the charity shop, kids' clothes get sorted through regularly, etc). However, we all tend to put things aside "in case we might need them" and of course, things wear out and get replaced, without the worn out one really being dealt with. Tastes change, people pass along or gift things you can't really use, etc.

So it's nice to take stock once a year and clear out the cupboards where things are lurking, junk drawers, have a good go through your closet to get rid of things you haven't worn in a year or more, and so forth.  Anyway, I thought I'd do it again this year - we'll see how it goes. And blogging it means I'm more likely to keep it up, so you guys get to see my progress. Lucky you! Without counting every paper clip in a packet of novelty paper clips as individual items, I'm going to see how many things I can declutter. If I run out before the end of the month, I'm not stressed. But there's always the kids' rooms for backup if I need it!

So, here's the first thing:


A perfectly nice pair of boots which I never wear because they are too loose around the calf and annoy me all day long whenever I have a go at wearing them again. The heel is also slightly too high to walk comfortably to work in (fine once I'm there but not great for the walk to work). Normally if I wear higher heels at work I wear other shoes for the walk and change, but this is annoying with boots (and sort of defeats a large part of the purpose of wearing boots in the winter in the first place). I wore them two times or so last winter and this past winter, not at all - every time I thought about it, I couldn't face them. It's time for them to make someone happy in a charity shop. Bye-bye boots!  (I promise not to write this much about every item I get rid of!)

2 comments:

Sharon W. said...

Here's a useful quote for the coming month:

"I'm making a decision to get rid of a few things in my life. If you don't hear from me, you're one of them".

Tee hee......hoping I DO hear from you!!!!!

sophie said...

I am planning to declutter this month, too. Maybe not so much by the numbers–though I can see how that my motivate me ... and I probably won't blog about it, either. Your post is motivating and convinced me it's the right time and place for me to seriously tidy up and let go of some things.